This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Four Letter Words
- As we reported earlier, the two-month Writers Guild of America strike is nearly over. WGA-East members
votedheard about the proposal earlier and West members weighed in at 7 p.m. Some are already questioning the deal, but most expressed relief that the work stoppage is about to come to an end. Stay tuned to LAist for excellent coverage.
- A man was shot this morning in North Hollywood by an alleged gang member who approached the dude, shot him in the leg and yelled, "Barrio Van Nuys." The victim was reportedly not a member of a gang.
- We mentioned yesterday, new LA Times owner Sam Zell likes pussy. Well, apparently except one. LA Observed updates its post, finding an earlier statement from The New Yorker: "At a recent dinner party, the mention of Hillary Clinton’s name prompted him to use a four-letter obscenity to describe her." Zell has proven himself to be a blogger's goldmine. This is gonna be a fun ownership.
- We may love our cars, but we're using less gas, a recent study found. The reduction may have something to do with our love for the Prius or our cognizance of Global Warming or the fact that we need to take out a loan for a tank.
- But using less gas does not mean we have less traffic. So, what do we do about that? David Markland at Blogging.la wrote a top 10 list of ways to improve this city's public transportation. You may disagree with some of his points, but if it gets our leaders talking about viable options to reduce traffic, then talk away.
- Yahoo plans to deny the $44.6 billion bid from Microsoft to take over the Internet giant. Sources said the bid undervalues Yahoo in its attempt to keep up with Google. But some are pessimistic about Yahoo's ability to keep up with the their main rival and are pushing for the company to change its name to Eh.
- Barack Obama may have liked to take a drag of the sticky icky from time to time in college, but do not confuse his partaking for partying, the NY Times said this morning. I'll drink to that.
- Maybe supporters of Obama and Hillary should take some of what the former Occidental College student tried years ago. Volunteers for the two candidates argued with each other in Virginia this morning where both Democrats are scheduled to speak. Hillary people were reportedly upset that Obama had more volunteers putting up signs and helping deck the room with all things Change.
Photo by victoriabernal via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.