Extra, Extra: Hey, If it Makes You Smile...
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- Maybe he's a cat person? LA Times big-wig Sam Zell has been quoted as saying a healthy love of lady-parts is downright patriotic. LA Observed explores the origins of what was said and why; apparently Zell thinks pussy's so nice, he said it twice: "He said: 'Everyone likes pussy. It’s un-American not to like pussy'" explains someone at the Times.
- Prince Andrew paid a visit to Compton yesterday to helm the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new Fresh & Easy supermarket on Rosecrans Avenue. Tesco, represent! UK in the house!
- Trust funds have been established in the names of the two LAPD SWAT Officers shot in yesterday's standoff in Winnetka. Officer Randal Simmons was killed and Officer James Veenstra was injured in the gunfire. The LAPD blog has the list of many ways you can make a donation.
- Two overdoses for the Coroner to report: Actor Brad Renfro's death was caused by an accidental heroin overdose, and ice skater Christopher Bowman's death was due to an accidental overdose and his enlarged heart.
- Former Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss got to see the inside of a Nevada jail when she "was arrested Thursday morning on charges of illegal possession of prescription drugs and driving under the influence." Oddly enough, Ms. Fleiss operates a laundromat in the state...called Dirty Laundry.
- The body of 60-year-old Frank Wykofka was discovered inside his SUV, which was submerged in the San Dimas Reservoir. The do-gooder was up there releasing a skunk he'd caught in his back yard when his car went off the road and plunged into the water.
- When does the fish get to your favorite sushi restaurant? And when do the city's most well-known sushi chefs show up to work? la.foodblogging did a little digging behind the scenes and fills us in on what we might not realize happens behind the mystical bar.