LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- The varsity baseball head coach at John Burroughs High in Burbank was canned today and the team's season was cut short after the principal learned that the players were served alcohol during an Arizona road trip.
- A package left at The Coffee Table on Rowena that may have been a pipe bomb and led to red-lights a-flashin' and sirens a-soundin' in Silver Lake last night turned out to be nothing but a scare.
- Is Conrad Murray changing his story in the Michael Jackson trial? In other news, the Jackson estate settled a lawsuit regarding the Heal the World Foundation after 18 months.
- Not impressed by McDonalds' hiring spree? There's always Hooters -- now hiring waitresses for its soon-to-open location across from Staples Center
- Elisabeth Sladen who played Sarah Jane Smith, a favorite character of Doctor Who fans, has died. Michael Sarrazin, whose movie credits include "They Shoot Horses, Don't They," "The Sweet Ride," and "The Gumball Rally" also passed away.
- The owners of Hollywood Forever Cemetery may be looking to purchase the financially-troubled Grand View cemetery.
- Two memorial signs will be placed on the 60 freeway to honor a former El Monte educator slain in Mexico in 2009 -- an innocent victim of the drug war across the border.