Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts and Entertainment

'Top Gun' Sequel Confirmed By Tom Cruise

phpjVxi7rAM.jpg
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Tom Cruise confirmed on an Australian morning show that there will be a sequel to Top Gun, adding, "I'm gonna start filming it in the next year."

When the Sunrise hosts asked him about it at the end of their interview with the actor, they seemed surprised when Cruise broke the news: “It’s true.. it's true... It is definitely happening," he told them. "You're the first people I've said this to... I'm here, you asked me, it's going to happen." Here's the clip:

WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE: @TomCruise just confirmed that Top Gun 2 is happening! "I’m gonna start filming it probably in the next year". #sun7 pic.twitter.com/X17xvxz4Q4

— Sunrise (@sunriseon7) May 23, 2017

The IMDB page is already up, and lists Val Kilmer coming back as Iceman.

Support for LAist comes from

Jerry Bruckheimer is also attached, and hinted at a Top Gun 2 last year, when he met the actor and tweeted this below photo. The original movie was produced by Bruckheimer, and directed by Tony Scott, who committed suicide in 2013.

Top Gun came out over 30 years ago, in 1986, when Cruise was just around 24-years-old.