This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
The Last Poet
• Of Montreal, Tilly & the Wall and Grand Buffet will be performing tonight at the Vanguard Theatre (not the Ex Plex!). Tickets are $10 and the show starts at 8 PM.
• The Fold at El Cid has The Dilettantes (featuring Joel from The Brian Jonestown Massacre) with Electromagnetic and Random Aok. Tickets are $7.
• The second and final night of The Pixies at The Wiltern features shows at 7:30 and 10 PM. Tickets are $45.
• At the New Beverly Cinema, tonight is a Godard double feature, with Masculine Feminine at 7:30 PM and Band of Outsiders at 9:30 PM. For more information, call (323) 938-4038.
• Skylight Books is "Remembering Robert Creeley" tonight at 7:30 PM, when the poet's friends and colleagues gather to remember his works. Featuring Lewis MacAdams, Eileen Myles, John Daley, Rae Armantrout, Peter Coyote, Marjorie Perloff, Mark Salerno, Louise Steinman and Michael C. Ford.
• Another free Hammer Bash! tonight at 7 PM, celebrating the closing weekend of "THING," and featuring music from dublab soundsystem DJs E.Moss, Derelict, Morpho and Ale.
• The Natural History Museum has the roundtable discussion "The Beat Goes On," featuring Terrence McNally, Riverside Mayor Ron Loveridge, Dr. Fernando Guerra (Director of the Center for the Study of Los Angeles) and author DJ Waldie, leading up to a special tour of the new exhibit "COLLAPSE?," inspired by the Jared Diamond book. It all starts at 7 PM; tickets are $15.
Click here to see our list of events for the weekend.