'Star Wars' Producers Charged Over Harrison Ford's Broken Leg
A production company involved in making Star Wars: The Force Awakens will face criminal charges over an on-set incident involving Harrison Ford.While filming near London in June 2014, Ford suffered a broken leg when he was struck by a hydraulic door on the Millennium Falcon, his character Han Solo's legendary ship, according to the AP. The actor, who was 71 at the time, was airlifted to a hospital where he underwent surgery for the fracture, and production on the film was suspended for two weeks.
Now, British health authorities are charging Foodles Production—a U.K. subsidiary of the Walt Disney Co.—with four breaches of workplace health and safety laws.
"By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers. This is as true on a film set as a factory floor," British Health and Safety Executive said in a statement released Thursday. "We have investigated thoroughly and believe that we have sufficient evidence to bring the case to court."
A representative from Foodles told the BBC, "Cast and crew safety is always a top priority. We provided full co-operation during HSE's investigation into the on-set accident that occurred in June 2014 and are disappointed in HSE's decision."
The first court hearing is planned for May at High Wycombe Magistrates' Court, near the studio where the incident took place.
Ford told the L.A. Times back in December that the first few days of filming are generally bumpy, but that he felt comfortable returning to the role of Han Solo. Then he added, "That was the first day. The second day, they closed the [expletive] door on me. Then, not so much. [laughs]"
Judging by Ford's quick recovery after a helicopter crash last year, Captain Solo seems to still be in good shape.
We're still waiting for Dad Joke Han Solo to chime in.