Extra, Extra: That Venomous Sea Snake Is Already In A Museum
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.
- Remember this guy from earlier today? The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County has acquired the corpse of one of the yellow-bellied sea snakes that was spotted by a surfer in Ventura County on Friday. The snake died shortly after being handed over to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and was then given to the museum where it was placed in a jar of formalin to ensure preservation. "It’s an insanely beautiful specimen," Greg Pauly, herpetological curator at the museum, told the L.A. Times. "There’s probably a lot of them swimming off the coast of Southern California right now." Literally everything about this is the beginning of a horror movie. Or Night At The Museum 4.
- October's series of heat waves has put a strain on L.A County lifeguards.
- Here are some before-and-after images that show how new Metro stations have replaced parking lots with new development.
- Another reason to totally H8 the drought: it's taken a toll on cutesy lil' pumpkin patches.
- Are you going to go see Crimson Peak? Vulture has a list of other gothic horror works (books and films, mostly) you should check out if you're into that. Definitely recommend Rebecca.
- Bradley Cooper agrees with co-star Jennifer Lawrence that women in Hollywood have been paid unfairly, and is going to bat for pay equality.
- Speaking of celebs, Buzzfeed reports on the "downfall" of the paparazzi.
- L.A. Clippers Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, and Chris Paul visited their former teammate Lamar Odom in the Nevada hospital where he's been recovering from an drug overdose.
- Did you see that final play in the Michigan v. Michigan State game? Oh, boy. Here it is, called in Russian: