Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Derby Dolls: Tough Cookies 32, Sirens 26

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

By the end of the first quarter on last Saturday night's game, it looked like it was over: the Tough Cookies already have won. In the first jam of nine, 5-points were scored off the bat; then another 2 in the second jam. Finally the Sirens caught on and started using their moves, but still not as tough as any cop should (think police sirens in their team name). The first quarter ended 5 to 12 with the Tough Cookies in the lead.

Half time came and there was buzz in the air. Tough Cookies led by only one point. It was finally a real game. It was a 17-to-16 half time score and it was time to celebrate one of the referee's birthday -- his name is Manarchy. His girlfriend's name is Iron Maiven, team captain of the Tough Cookies. However, if we are going to choose a favorite name, we're going with the male referee, Bitchy Kitten.

Post birthday cake eating, the third quarter begins. Lots of spills and sexy bruises peaking out under short skirts, the Sirens could not hold on to their neck-and-neck score leaving them at 23 and Tough Cookies six points ahead.

Support for LAist comes from

They was actually a redo of a jam in a fourth quarter when a jam started without a jammer (holy shit!). Later on, Iron Maiven was ejected from the game in which she reacted by taking her helmet off and throwing it to the ground. However, it didn't matter for her team -- they still won.

The next game, originally scheduled for March 24th has been postponed. When on sale, tickets can be bought on their website.