Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts and Entertainment

Caitlyn Jenner Sued For Negligence Over Deadly Malibu Car Crash

caitlyn_jenner_sued.jpg
Caitlyn Jenner at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show last month. (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/ Getty Images)
Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.


A family sued Caitlyn Jenner in the Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, citing negligence for her involvement in the February car crash in Malibu that resulted in the death of one person.The L.A. Times reports that the Wolf-Milesi family claims that four members of their family and one other passenger in the car at the time sustained multiple injuries due to the crash. According to the suit, driver Peter Wolf-Milesi suffered serious wrist injuries, and his wife also experienced blunt-force injuries that have since required ongoing treatment. It also states that the Wolf Milesi's 1-month-old son was unresponsive after the accident.

The lawsuit states, "The emotional effects of being involved in a collision that has taken the life of another has caused tremendous distress and suffering for the Wolf-Milesi family."

It was reported in September that Jenner would not be facing manslaughter charges, as prosecutors did not have enough evidence that Jenner was to blame for the crash; they said she was driving below the speed limit, and stepped on her brakes 4.2 seconds before the crash. But, sheriff's department investigators found that despite this, Jenner was still driving at a speed too fast given the conditions at the time.

The crash occurred when a Prius stalled in the northbound lanes of PCH. Then, a Lexus, driven by 69-year-old Kimberly Howe, rear ended the stalled Prius. Jenner, who was driving a Cadillac Escalade and towing a trailer, rear-ended Howe's Lexus, which sent it careening into the southbound lanes where it was hit head-on by an oncoming Hummer—driven by Wolf-Milesi. The crash resulted in Howe's death.

Support for LAist comes from

Following the accident, Jenner expressed her sympathy via a statement that said, "It is a devastating tragedy. I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them."

In addition to the suit filed on Friday, Jenner is also being sued by Howe's stepchildren, and the driver of the Prius, Jessica Steindorff.