• Daniel Lanois with Mother Superior, plus Johnathan Rice and Gwendolyn are at Spaceland tonight. Doors open at 9 PM.
• Cake, Tegan and Sara and Gogol Bordello headline The Wiltern, along with comic Eugene Mirman. The show starts at 8 PM and tickets are $25.
• The completely awesome double feature of Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn at 7:30 and Return of the Living Dead at 9:15 PM hits the New Beverly.
• JMP with DJs J. Rocc and Melo D of the Beat Junkies and Peanut Butter Wolf are at the Knitting Factory tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $5. [21+]
• At the House of Blues Sunset, catch the Violent Femmes with The Bell Rays at 8:30 PM. Tickets are $25.
• AFI at ArcLight presents a screening of the 1931 classic Frankenstein at 8 PM.
• The Hammer Museum features a panel discussion on "Truth, Justice and the Politics of Comics at 7 PM, with guests David Rees (Get Your War On), Jen Sorenson (Slowpoke Comics), Lalo Alcaraz (La Cucaracha), and Ho Che Anderson (King).
• Collective Soul and Driveblind are at The Roxy tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $10.
• The Egyptian Theatre is screening Kurosawa's classic The Seven Samurai at 7:30 PM.
• Dead Meadow, Silversun Pickups and The Clean Prophets are at the Troubadour tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $10 advance, $12 day of.
• Spaceland features The 88, Derby and Rocco Deluca, plus a late night happy hour, with drink specials and no cover after 12:15 AM.
• The Echo has the Los Abandoned Winter Formal, also featuring Gitch and DJ Santi, tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $8.
• Baritone Mattias Goerne sings Shostakovich (Symphony No. 14) during Casual Fridays at the Disney Concert Hall. The concert begins at 8 PM.
• The Aero Theatre features the film inspired by The Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, starring Steve McQueen and Yul Brenner, tonight at 7:30 PM.
• At the Egyptian, enjoy a Kurosawa noir double feature: Stray Dog and Drunken Angel, beginning at 7:30 PM.
• First Fridays at the Natural History Museum is the opening of Sonic Scenery. Bring your iPod and experience the new audio exhibit of gallery soundtracks by The Sun Ra Arkestra, Ozomatli, Autolux, Nels Cline, Matmos, Jon Hassell, Nobody, Stephen Hartke, Languis, and David J. Pause, plus musicians and DJs performing "silent sets" heard only by headphone. At 8 PM, artist Jon Hassell, Dublab founder Mark "Frosty" McNeill and moderator Hope Tschopik Schneider will discuss the future of sound in space.
• If you remember Duncan Sheik, catch him tonight with Teddy Thompson and Jim Boggia at the Troubadour. Doors open at 8 PM; tickets are $16 presale, $20 day of.
• Of Montreal, Irving and Passage are in the Ex Plex tonight at 7 PM. Tickets are $12 advance, $14 day of.
• The Groovy Rednecks, Pat Todd & The Rank Outsiders, The Leonards and the Despicables take over The Scene. Cover is $7.
• Author Gloria Koenig will be signing the new book EAMES from 12-2 PM at the famed Eames house in Pacific Palisades, at 203 Chatauqua Boulevard (self parking on Corona del Mar Drive).
• The opening reception for "Hands On," a new show by Kofie One, is tonight at Transport Gallery from 6-10:30 PM.
&bull: This is the premiere night of "Sally on the Mount", the new play by Jeanne Darst at FLUXCO. Tickets are $20 (which includes open wine bar). For more info, call (213) 489-9002.
• Damien Jurado and Dolorean are at Spaceland. Doors open at 9 PM.
• Enjoy excerpts from the fourth Write Girl anthology at Skylight Books today at 3 PM.