• Wolf Parade, Chad Van Gaalen and Jason Friedman perform tonight at the El Rey at 8 PM. Tickets are $18.50.
• A thought-provoking double feature tonight at the New Beverly: Cronenberg's A History of Violence at 7:30 PM and Peckinpah's Straw Dogs at 9:25.
• XBXRX, Hello Astronaut, Goodbye Television, Silver Daggers, Abe Vigoda and Sharon Cheslow all happen tonight at The Smell. Doors open at 9 PM; admission is $5.
• Night one of GSL's Flood & Mudslide Season Warm-Up Party takes place tonight at The Echo, featuring Veronica Lipgloss and the Evil Eyes, Year Future, Demonstrations and Sexytime Explosion. Doors open at 7 PM. Tickets are $10, or $18 for a two-night pass.
• Nouveau popsters Nouvelle Vague are at Tangier tonight with Becky Stark and DJ Senor Amor. Tickets are $25.
• Catch Mellowdrone acoustic tonight at Spaceland; doors open at 9 PM.
• The Holograms, Peachfuzz, The Oxford Set and The Binges are on tonight at The Scene. $5 cover.
• At 7:30 PM, catch a double feature of Hitchcock's classic Strangers on a Train and Fritz Lang's Human Desire at the Egyptian Theatre.
• Local comedian Clam Lynch is giving his last performance in town before heading for the Aspen Comedy Festival tonight at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre at 8 PM. Cover is $5.
• Night two of GSL's Flood & Mudslide Season Warm-Up Party at The Echo features 400 Blows, Free Moral Agents, Labwaste, Coaxial and Gabriel Hart and His Upset Black Guitar. Doors open at 7 PM; tickets are $10 or $18 for a two-night pass.
• The second night of Nouvelle Vague at Tangier, with The Good Listeners and DJ Senor Amor. Tickets are $25.
• Another Hitchcock double feature at 7:30 PM, with a 70mm print of Vertigo and Chris Marker's amazing La Jetee at the Egyptian.
• The Natural History Museum features a discussion at 7 PM between Andy Lipkis (founder of TreePeople), Jagmohan Maini (who coined the term "ecotourism") and Hope Tschopik Schneider on conservation around the world, plus music by Eleanor Academia, The Black Swan, Mr Riddims & click.BOOM and On Ensemble, plus DJs Frosty and Kutmah. Admission is $15 (non-members).
• Come on down for The Smell's 8th Anniversary Extravaganza and Benefit, featuring Babyland, Silver Daggers, BARR, Lavender Diamond, Mika Miko, Captain Ahab, Abe Vigoda, Hello Astronaut Goodbye Television, Eco Morti, The Pope and Anavan, plus an art show. The party runs from 6 PM - 2 AM and admission is $10.
• Deadwood Night returns to the Knitting Factory, featuring Sacred Cowboys and King Straggler starting at 8 PM. Tickets are $10.
• If you've always wanted to know but didn't know how to find out, take MOCA's comic history course, "No Laughing Matter? The History of American Comics." The class begins at 10 AM and covers comics from the turn of the century to today. Cost is $150 for non-members. For more info, call (213) 621-1745.
• Stan Ridgway (formerly of Wall of Voodoo) brings his solo show to McCabe's tonight at 7 PM. Tickets are $16.
• Subtitle, Eliot Lipp and Leo 123 are at Tangier tonight at 8:30 PM. Cover is $8.