Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

City Tells Tom Leykis His Money's No Good Here, Won't Accept $50K Reward Offered for Finding Bryan Stow's Attackers

img-tom-leykis.jpg
Tom Leykis (via Leykis101)
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

If you've spent much of your career in Los Angeles as a "shock jock" known for advising men on how to bag women, is that reason enough to turn down a generous donation towards a growing reward fund to help bag some criminals? Tom Leykis is beginning to wonder if that is what's going on with the $50,000 he offered the City of Los Angeles to put towards the pool of money offered for information leading to the arrest of the suspects who beat Giants fan Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium."Much as Your Professor has been an asshole to chicks, he is a dyed-in-the-wool Angeleno and a diehard Dodger fan whose heart is in the right place when it counts," writes Leykis online. "Why is the City of Los Angeles not willing to help him do a good thing?"

It was earlier this week when Leykis noticed there was something missing--namely his pledged $50k--from a new reward sum offered in the case. On Tuesday, the Los Angeles Police Department announced the total reward was now upped from $100,000 to $200,000. That new amount includes "money raised by the Dodgers ($125,000), the L.A. City Council ($50,000), Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich ($10,000), the Giants ($10,000) and American Medical Response ($5,000)," explains the Daily News' Farther Off the Wall blog.

Why were Leykis' funds not counted? Reportedly, Tony Perez, Director of Communications for Los Angeles City Councilman Ed Reyes told Leykis the City "couldn't acknowledge rewards from private individuals." Leykis argues that the Dodgers are also private individuals, specifically high-profile divorcing couple Frank and Jamie McCourt, and the radio personality wonders how the team, which may not be able to make their payroll, can come up with $125,000.

An option, however, would be for Leykis to put his $50,000 in the pot for the Bryan Stow medical fund as a way to help the victim and his family directly. Leykis explains why he'd prefer to put his money towards taking down the bad guys:

Support for LAist comes from
"I was taking it from the crime angle because I live in Hollywood -- I can see the stadium from my house at night, and its nine miles away [...] I've always supported the LAPD, on and off the air. For me, this was a way to help the police, by upping the reward."

Leykis says he will reluctantly rescind his offer by 5 p.m. today if the City of Los Angeles refuses to accept it.