Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


101 Freeway, Hollywood Blvd. Lanes Reopen After Police Activity

Photo by CarbonNYC via Flickr
We need to hear from you.
Today during our spring member drive, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Police incidents shut down two important arteries Monday morning, hindering rush hour traffic as investigations occurred. On the 101 freeway, a police pursuit came to the end in Sherman Oaks on the 101 Freeway when a suspect crashed his car near Van Nuys Blvd. In Hollywood, part of its namesake boulevard was closed after shots were reported at the restaurant Musso and Franks. All Westbound lanes of the 101 Freeway were closed after the suspect crashed around 1:30 a.m. When he exited the vehicle, he was apparently holding a knife when he was shot by police. He later died. An officer was taken to the hospital in unknown condition. The chase began on the eastside when LAPD officers tried to pull over the car, which then sped away. As of 8:20 a.m., two lanes were open.

In Hollywood, shots at the famous restaurant Musso and Franks were reported, prompting police to respond and shut down some lanes on the boulevard. As of 8 a.m., police were still unsure what happened, saying it might have been a prank call, according to a public information officer on the phone. When police arrived, one person, possibly an employee, inside the restaurant was found and detained, reported the LA Times.

Most Read