Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Three Dudes Stole Booze From A BevMo And Then Led Police On A Multi-Freeway Chase

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

At around midnight on Monday morning (or late on Sunday night, as some would see it), three men broke the front window of a Culver City BevMo to steal booze, and then led authorities on a high-speed pursuit across three freeways.

Culver City Police Sergeant Brandon VanScoy told LAist that Culver City officers first responded to a burglary alarm at the Sepulveda BevMo location at approximately 12:30 a.m., and upon arrival immediately saw that the store's window had been smashed. They then witnessed a vehicle fleeing the location at a high speed, "almost striking an officer." One of the officers fired his weapon at that point, but no one was hurt. The vehicle in question was "a van of some sort," according to Sergeant VanScoy.

The three suspects and their van then led authorities on a partially high-speed (varying between 50 and 100 miles per hour) pursuit that included sections of the 90, 405 and 10 freeways, according to City News Service. The pursuit ended near the intersection of 10th Street and Jefferson Boulevard, where one subject was immediately taken into custody while the other two fled on foot, according to Culver City Police. City News Service reports that the other two suspects were eventually apprehended after one was found hiding on a roof by an LAPD helicopter and the other was found hiding behind the getaway van. All three were arrested on suspicion of burglary. The pursuit "only lasted around 15 to 20 minutes in total," according to VanScoy.

City News Service is reporting that all the stolen liquor was recovered, however the Culver City Police Department was unable to verify that information.

Support for LAist comes from

Dario, the "BevMologist" who answered the phone at the Culver City BevMo in question, told LAist that the store would not be commenting on the incident. However, according to Dario, the Culver City BevMo is open for business today.