Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Here's How To Get Money If You Owe Back Rent

(Photo illustration: Lisa Brenner/LAist | Source photos: Florian Berger/Unsplash, Matt Artz/Unsplash)
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Thousands and thousands (and thousands) of Angelenos owe rent to their landlords.

If you’re one of them, pay attention: you may be eligible to have it paid through California's Rental Relief program. The program will pay 80% of your rent to your landlord, if they agree to forgive the rest.

But it’s kind of confusing. Do you live in the city of L.A.? You’ll apply through an L.A. city-specific application. Do you live in L.A. County, outside of the city limits? Apply through the state’s application.

There are also different income requirements for each — and you have to act quickly, because applications are only accepted until April 30.

Support for LAist comes from

We've put together a guide to walk you through the labyrinth, and point you to some organizations working hard to help.


Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.