2 Local Airports Ranked Most Affordable in U.S.
Once again, two local airports have claimed the two top spots in a list ranking the most affordable airports in the nation, but they also swapped placement this year.
"Bob Hope Airport ranked the most affordable U.S. airport in the U.S., with an average ticket cost of $221," according to a recent survey on Cheapflights.com, reports the Daily News. Last year, BUR came in second to Long Beach Airport, who this year takes the number two slot, with an average airfare of $250. The OC's John Wayne Airport ranked sixth.
All the airports on the list are considered small-market or alternative, says the travel site, noting that what travelers can glean from the rankings is that "low-cost travel is out there, but requires the flexibility and know-how to consider alternative airports." (Perhaps an unrelated factor is having your airport named after a popular entertainer of the 20th century? Or not.)
Here's the full top ten list:
1. Bob Hope Airport, CA (BUR) - $221
2. Long Beach (Daugherty Field), CA (LGB) - $250
3. Fresno Air Terminal, CA (FAT) - $290
4. Harrisburg International, PA (MDT) - $304
5. Lehigh Valley, PA (ABE) - $307
6. John Wayne/Orange County, CA (SNA) - $316
7. White Plains, NY (HPN) - $324
8. Metropolitan Oakland International, CA (OAK) - $330
9. Chicago Midway, IL (MDW) - $339
10. Bellingham International, WA (BLI) - $342