2 Of the Country's Most Affordable Airports are in L.A. (But Neither is LAX)
When it comes to booking a flight, for many of us, price is what determines our decision. CheapFlights.com recently released a ranking of 101 U.S. airports based on affordability, and the top two are in Los Angeles County. Long Beach (LGB) and Bob Hope Airport (BUR) ranked first and second, respectively, on their list. A third SoCal airport, John Wayne in Orange County (SNA) came in fifth.
CheapFlights explains that they "measured the average airfare for the most popular US airports based on the fares Cheapflights.com users found to top destinations like Orlando, London Heathrow, Las Vegas and Cancun during June 2011," in order to come up with their list.
It's not that Los Angeles International Airport didn't make the list, but at spot 88, well, you're not getting the same kind of deal you might be able to score traveling in and out of LGB or BUR. On average, a flight to a popular destination from LAX will run you $474; from LGB it's $223 and BUR $248.
Here's the top 10 list:
1. Long Beach (Daugherty Field), CA (LGB) - $223
2. Bob Hope Airport, CA (BUR) - $248
3. General Mitchell International, WI (MKE) - $274
4. Lehigh Valley, PA (ABE) - $280
5. John Wayne/Orange County, CA (SNA) - $288
6. William P. Hobby, TX (HOU) - $294
7. Newport News/Williamsburg International, VA (PHF) - $300
8. Bishop International, MI (FNT) - $301
9. Metropolitan Oakland International, CA (OAK) - $305
10. Bellingham International, WA (BLI) - $311