Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Woman Who Dipped Her Husband in BBQ Sauce and Ate Him After Murdering Him Could Be Released

gavel2.jpg

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

A woman who murdered her husband and told investigators that she ate his body with a nice Chianti dipped in BBQ sauce twenty years ago is scheduled to appear before a parole board.

Omaima Aree Nelson is asking for early release from her 27-year sentence, according to The Daily Pilot. She has been behind bars at Chowchilla State Prison for 20 years for the murder of her husband William E. Nelson, 56. Nelson was an Egyptian model who immigrated to the U.S. in 1986.

Nelson was also the first defendant in Orange County who used a "battered wife" defense, saying that she was raped the night before she murdered her husband. She also told psychiatrists that she had been a victim of sexual abuse as a child in Egypt and forced to undergo female circumcision, according to KTLA.

But the Orange County DA's office is eager to make sure that Nelson isn't let out early. "This is probably one of the most egregious mutilations we've ever had," said Senior Deputy District Attorney Randy Pawloski, who prosecuted the case. "It is one of the most gruesome and notorious crimes ever committed in Orange County."

How gruesome?


After the murder, Nelson cooked her husband's head on the stove, skinned his torso, fried his hands in oil and planned to leave his skull in the Back Bay, according to Pawloski and news archives. Nelson then drove garbage bags filled with the body parts to various ex-boyfriends, asking them to help dispose of the evidence and offering $75,000 for help. She was arrested Dec. 2, 1991, after police found trash bags containing human body parts in the couple's Eastside apartment and in William Nelson's Corvette.

Neighbors at the time said the garbage disposal was on for "a long time" and "constant chopping sounds" were coming from the home.

Nelson no longer admits to eating her husband and dipping him in barbecue sauce. "Of course she says that [she doesn't remember] because the parole board doesn't want to let a cannibal out," Pawloski said.

Nelson was already denied parole once in 2006.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today