This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
- Torontoist went Banksy crazy, after the street artist showed up for the first time in Canada, and then disappeared just as quickly. Which leaves one big question: what does it all mean?
- Houstonist reveled in the new album from Sara Van Buskirk, played around with the oil spill in the gulf and pondered Hunter Pence's future.
- LAist watched as the City Council vote 14-1 in favor of a resolution that essentially bans the city from doing business with the state of Arizona, as a result of their new immigration law.
- Chicagoist discussed and debated visits by two very disparate visitors to their city this week: graffiti artist Banksy and Sarah Palin.
- Gothamist was amused by the tale of the NY Times columnist who decided to enter a chef's kitchen to berate the chef (who was yelling at an employee), only to be tossed of the restaurant. The chef insists he's "not a psycho bully."
- Phillyist invited readers to listen to its contributors' favorite music.
- Londonist welcomed in a new government, who moved quickly to block expansion at Heathrow Airport. But anyone who does fly to these shores should check out this awesome iPhone app that superimposes old photos of London onto the phone's camera view.
- SFist snapped these shots of an angry missive spraypainted on the side of an Alamo Square house.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.