Week Around the Ists
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Torontoist introduced the internet to a video of a pigeon riding the subway, just like a human! The internet took it from there.
- Chicagoist looked at the case of a student suspended from school for creating a Facebook page criticizing one of his teachers.
- Gothamist finally learned the Governor Paterson bombshell, and the possible scandal prompted Paterson to drop his run for governor. Still, many want him to resign.
- SFist chuckled with nerdy glee after UC Berkeley started its own Quidditch league.
- Seattlest brushed up on the story of native son Kurt Cobain with Charles R. Cross' Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain.
- DCist reported on a ruling against opponents of same sex marriage.
- LAist stumbled deep into a controversy by reporting that animal rights activists were threatening to protest at a UCLA researcher's child's school.
- Londonist pondered the significance of the Borg-like design for the new US Embassy building. Is the defensive design more or less worthy than the runners-up?
- Austinist noted that Facebook will open an office in the neighborhood.
- Phillyist started a debate about the circus, just by going there.