This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
Photo by Flickr user
- Londonist explored an eerily deserted London on Christmas morning.
- Gothamist was shocked at allegations that two EMTs refused to help a dying pregnant woman, by claiming they were only dispatchers.
- Torontoist wrote about a cute video that should hit home for any other ist-a-verse city with a subway system.
- Seattlest wrote a Guide to Holiday Air Travel.
- DCist was amused when a certain "Barry from D.C.", a.k.a. the President of the United States, called in to a local news radio station to give his best wishes to outgoing Va. Gov. Tim Kaine.
- Bostonist had a snow day.
- Chicagoist took note, with the Bears mired in an awful season, of some fans who have taken action by buying a billboard demanding the firing of head coach Lovie Smith.
- Shanghaiist has been taking a break, but we've gotten all our friends (journalists, Asia consultants and other peoples of importance) to round up the best and worst things to happen here this year/decade.
- SFist wasn't shocked when the 49ers fumbled any and all chances at making the playoffs.
- LAist, deep in a typical SoCal winter, got excited about fresh-made Danish-style ice cream being served up in the 'burbs.
- Phillyist had to let go of some excess pop culture baggage as they prepared to enter a new decade.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.