This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around The Ists
- SFist found out that an artist's work was kicked out of a coffeehouse for being "too serious."
- Seattlest spent the week preparing for some recession-induced severe cuts to its mass transit system; watched and were astonished as the Amanda Knox case devolved to slapstick in Italy; swelled with pride as our ladies in green and gold met with the president;and applauded our mayor for diving into the middle of Ashton Kutcher’s fight against the Village Voice family of alternative weeklies.
- Bostonist, this week: Transporting James "Whitey" Bulger to court on a Coast Guard helicopter: $14,000; Senator Scott Brown piling on to Massachusetts' top bad guy: priceless! Oh, gay marriage in Rhode Island, and possibly, Maine, too.
- Gothamist learned that Glenn Beck went to see a movie in Bryant Park, where someone spilled wine on his wife. He called the crowd hostile, “If I had suggested, and I almost did, “Wow, does anybody have a rope? Because there’s tree here. You could just lynch me.’ And I think there would have been a couple in the crowd that would have."
- DCist reported this week on the District’s status as a libertartian mecca for tattoo and piercing parlors (though that status may be fleeting).
- Chicagoist can't believe that this Chicago Scene boat party might be sunk due to permit issues.
- Shanghaiist discovered a Weibo account where a teen girl claims she'll give up her virginity for an iPhone 4.
- Austinist is getting ready for the confederate license plates that some in Texas wants.
- We learned that Dodger Stadium attack victim Bryan Stow may have been taunting hometown fans (and our hot dogs), but noted that being mouthy does not justify beating a man into a coma.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.