Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Villaraigosa is 'Pointing a Gun at Our Heads,' Says Firefighters Union

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

3634855432_28d91fbaba_b.jpg
Photo by MargaretNapier via Flickr


Photo by MargaretNapier via Flickr
As part of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's "shared sacrifice" plan to save the city budget, cuts proposed to fire department ladder and ambulance companies, nicknamed "brownouts," would short-staff stations on a rotating basis by 87 firefighters.

According to Pat McOsker, President of the United Firefighters of Los Angeles, the last time the city made similar cuts, a mother and daughter died in a South LA fire where the nearest company was browned-out. “We couldn’t get there in time thanks to brownouts, and two people died as a result.” said McOsker.

Villaraigosa said earlier this week that the cuts do not "necessarily" put the city in the situation the union describes and that he has tough and unpopular decisions to make.

If the cuts go through, "brownouts" will begin on August 6th, but after a public comment by McOsker at a City Council meeting this morning, Councilmember Janice Hahn said a hearing will be held at Tuesday's meeting.

"We will do whatever is necessary to help the city get through the financial crisis we're in right now. All we ask is what we're asked to do be equal with the rest of the city's workforce," McOsker said referencing a deal struck with other employee unions this week. "[The cuts] put our lives at risk, and more importantly the public's lives at risk. [Villaraigosa's] pointing a gun at our heads and shots are going to hit the public. This is dangerous."

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today