Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Officials Detain One Suspect Following False Shooting Report On USC's Campus [Updated]

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Updated 2:04 p.m.: The Los Angeles Police Department has detained and question one suspect Monday afternoon in regards to the false alarm shooting on the University of Southern California campus Monday afternoon. USC was on lockdown just after 12 p.m. when police received a call reporting a shooting on campus. After a thorough search and investigation, officials found no evidence of a shooting on campus.

LAPD has declined to offer the identity of the suspect or reason for questioning. A student captured footage of the arrest occurring.

***Authorities have given the all-clear at the University of Southern California, after reports of shots fired put the campus on lockdown Monday. The shots were reported at 12:17 p.m., prompting the campus' Department of Public Safety to tell students to take shelter and avoid the area.

Support for LAist comes from

The Los Angeles Police Department went to the scene to investigate and found no evidence a shooting occurred, according to Detective Meghan Aguilar of the LAPD. After a search and investigation, the school received at around 1 p.m. an all-clear to resume activities.

DPS first reported that the shots occurred near Fertitta Hall located at 610 Childs Way on the southeastern corner of campus. They sent a mass email to the university urging people to stay away from the building. The reports led to "full panic" in the building, according to the Daily Trojan.

LAPD investigated every room of Fertitta Hall, according to the Daily Trojan. Most people evacuated but some faculty members took shelter in the building.

A police helicopter was circling the scene at around 12:30 p.m., according to the L.A. Times.