Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

South Pasadena High School Students' Plot To Kill 'As Many Students As Possible' Foiled, Police Say

Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.


Police in South Pasadena say they may have stopped a school shooting at South Pasadena High School by arresting two students last night. School officials noticed "suspicious behavior" in the students, one 16 and one 17 years old, and informed the police, a release from the SPPD says. Detectives issued search warrants at both homes and, based on what they discovered, arrested the students on suspicion of making criminal threats and conspiracy. They said the students were researching guns and explosives online, Pasadena Star-News reports. They also believe the pair was planning to murder three specific faculty members, two specific students, and "as many students as possible with firearms." The pair did not have a hit list, but allegedly told someone else about their intended victims.

The report says one student resisted arrest and tried to run, but the other was taken into custody peacefully.

Update, 1 p.m.: Update, 10:45 a.m.: Today's press conference revealed more details. South Pasadena Police Chief Arthur Miller said detectives were alerted to threats on August 14, after a community member told the school and the school called the police. Detectives then began an investigation, which involved online surveillance of the teens. Miller says the pair discussed a weapon they could potentially access, and had researched how to make a bomb. They also looked for guns, bulletproof vests and other disturbing information online. A search warrant was issued for both teen's homes on Monday, August 18 and both were arrested. Miller said that while no specific date had been set for the attack, the two teens had a "very, very specific plan of how they were going to carry out their sick mission," NBC LA reports. The teens confirmed their plans "cold-heartedly" when questioned by detectives. Their motive has not been released, but has been described by police as being of a personal nature.

The case will be presented to the District Attorney's office today.