This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Top 10 Reasons Toronto is Better than LA
Toronto has called you out, LA. Last week they put up a post comparing our city with theirs and Editor David Topping put together this Top 10 Reasons Why Toronto is better than LA.
Clearly they don't realize that LA does have a downtown, it's where the Raptors come twice a year to get their asses kicked.
1. Our phallic symbol in our Torontoist logo is bigger than your phallic symbol in your LAist logo.
2. Our prostitutes don't get killed as much!
3. We have snow! and Tobogganing!
4. For several months every year we're spared that pesky warmth that L.A. residents have to put up with ALL YEAR ROUND. Suckers.
5. You don't need a car to live here.
6. We only have to put up with your celebrities once a year.
7. We don't have a stupid sign.
8. Our celebrities aren't very famous.
9. LA's music festival is called LAMF (heh), and this is its myspace. Toronto's music festival is called NXNE, and this is its myspace.
10. We have a downtown.
photo by kriss@montreal
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.