Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Three People Found Dead In Apartment Heated By Dangerous Outdoor Propane Tank

crime_scene.jpg
(Photo by Shi Yali via Shutterstock)
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

The bodies of three people who appear to have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from an outdoor propane heater were discovered last night in a Long Beach apartment.

The bodies were discovered when neighbors complained about a smell coming from the apartment, according to City News Service. At 7 p.m. on Monday night, police officers conducted a welfare check and found that the three bodies were decomposing. There was a propane heater discovered near the victims who were found in a bedroom. It looks like they were using the heater for warmth. The Los Angeles Times says that the heater they had is only supposed to be used outside where it can be well-ventilated. Police said in a news release: "These type of heaters are not intended for indoor use and can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide if the area is not adequately ventilated."

The autopsy for the three isn't scheduled until tomorrow, so authorities don't have an official cause of death yet. But they are investigating the case as an accident.

A 34-year-old woman and 51-year-old man have been identified as victims, though their names are not being released until next of kin is notified, according to the Long Beach Press-Telegram. A third man has not been identified and it's not clear what the relationships between the victims are.