Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Three Injured In Party Bus Shooting

(Photo by Peggy Archer via LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)
We need to hear from you.
Today during our spring member drive, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Three people on a party bus were injured after gunfire erupted in South L.A. on Sunday night.

LAPD officer Sara Faden told LAist that the shooting occurred around 11 p.m. on the 9700 block of South Broadway. The shots came from outside of the party bus that was carrying about 40 passengers. It's not clear if there was one gunman or multiple gunmen involved in the shooting. However, NBC Los Angeles reported that there were eight to 10 rounds that were fired at the bus.

Just moments after the incident, the bus driver drove the party bus over to the 77th Street police station.

"We had a bus show up in front of 77th Station," LAPD Sgt. Michael Gannon told NBC Los Angeles. "A big group exited stating they had multiple people on board who had been shot."

Support for LAist comes from

Faden said a 30-year-old male was shot in the right arm and a 24-year-old female was grazed with a bullet in her right arm. The 33-year-old bus driver was also injured with glass in his eyes and face after a hail of gunfire went through the windows. They were all treated at a hospital.

Authorities believe the incident was gang-related. However, Sgt. Rudy Alaniz told City News Service that they are having difficulty getting information on the suspects because "no one is cooperating." The driver also isn't able to speak because he is getting treatment for his wounds.

Most Read