Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

The Kids Are...Getting Sick From Hash

weed.jpg
Photo by melissssaf via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Teenagers in Ventura County have gotten their hands on hash candy bars, and are making themselves sick by eating them and handing them out to unsuspecting teachers. KTLA reports that one student ate a chocolate Hubby's Edible Bar, then collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital, and another student gave part of a bar to a teacher, who also became ill after eating it (thinking it was a regular candy bar). The bars are being sold, according to the Ventura County DA's office, around LA and Ventura.

The candy is made with hash oil, and is one of many edible forms of weed available at marijuana dispensaries.

For what it's worth, the subheading at KTLA is this: "The bars look just like a regular candy bar, but contain hash oil."