This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Mongol, the untold story of Genghis Khan, which is in select theaters today.
- The Eaves of Heaven, the new book from Andrew X. Pham, the award-winning author of Catfish and Mandala.
- Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, performing together (with T Bone Burnett) at The Greek Theater on June 23 and 24th.
- American Apparel, where you can buy everything from T-shirts to swim wear.
- Busted Tees, which introduces three new designs a week.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.