Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Firefighters Stop Sepulveda Basin Brush Fire At 60 Acres

5db23707c92b3500089d26b1-eight.jpg
(Courtesy of NBC4 Los Angeles)
LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Firefighters on Thursday night reported they were able to stop the Sepulveda Basin brush fire in the San Fernando Valley at 60 acres. The fire broke out shortly after 4 p.m. amid hot, dry weather and high winds that had already fueled numerous fires througout the state.

In a 9 p.m. update, Los Angeles Fire Department officials reported the fire was 80% contained after their "dozers cut very effective fire line that stopped the flames in their tracks."

All Los Angeles Unified School District campuses in the San Fernando Valley are closed Friday due to concerns about smoke and air quality. Community, Roscomare, Topanga, Valley View, Wonderland, and Elementary Community Day School (Devonshire) are also closed.


Support for LAist comes from

This story was updated as of 8:15 a.m. Friday. Find the latest alerts at LAFD.org/alerts.


The LAFD credited aggressive attacks by ground and air crews that prevented "this fire from damaging any buildings or even causing any evacuations."

No one was reported injured in the Sepulveda Basin Fire, authorities said. The cause remains unknown and under investigation.

The National Weather Service reported that peak wind gusts were at least 30 mph Thursday evening. Humidity was expected to be in the single digits. Similar conditions are expected to persist into Friday.

Support for LAist comes from

The fire was first reported in the 5600 block of North Woodley Avenue, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. The area is known to be the site of homless encampments.

LAFD crews said they evacuated people from the homeless encampments south to the 101 Freeway.

"This particular area where the fire was was not cleaned out from homeless people but the areas around the basin that do fall within that boundary were cleaned out under the red flag conditions," said LAFD Deputy Chief Trevor Richmond during a Thursday evening media briefing.

Although residential evacuations were not announced, fire officials warned those living in Sherman Oaks and Encino to "gather essentials" and monitor local news and social media.

Support for LAist comes from

THE BASICS

  • Acreage: 60
  • Containment: 80%
  • Injuries: 0
  • Mandatory evacuations/evacuation centers (humans & animal): N/A
  • Voluntary evacuations: N/A
  • Road closures: As of 7 p.m.
    • Northbound and Southbound 405 off-ramps to Burbank Boulevard are closed;
    • Northbound 405 off-ramp to Victory Boulevard closed; Southbound 405 off-ramp reopened
    • Burbank Boulevard closed in both directions between Woodley Avenue and Sepulveda Boulevard
  • Structures destroyed: N/A
  • Structures threatened: 0
  • Resources deployed: 128 LAFD firefighters

SCENES ON THE GROUND

Support for LAist comes from

HOW WE'RE REPORTING ON THIS

Digital producers and news producer Megan Erwin were reporting on the fire.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For the latest information straight from local emergency officials, check the following websites and social media accounts:

FIRE RESOURCES

YOUR QUESTIONS OR IDEAS


This story was originally published at Oct. 24, 4:44 p.m. It was last updated at 4:15 a.m. Friday.