Officer Accused Of Having Sex With 15-Year-Old Cadet Pleads Not Guilty To Weapons Charge
Robert Cain, an LAPD officer embroiled in a scandal involving the department's cadet program, has pled not guilty to felony weapons charges that stem from a collection of guns found at his home, reports ABC7.
Cain, 31, first came to the attention of authorities when they were investigating incidences in which LAPD cadets had stolen police cruisers and equipment such as radios and Tasers. Two of those cruisers would crash during a police chase in June. Seven cadets were later arrested for their connection with the thefts, and the cadet programs at both the 77th Street Division and Pacific Division (where the cadets were enrolled) were both suspended.
The investigation would lead authorities to Cain, who was working in the equipment room of the 77th Street Division. Officials later said they suspected Cain of having sex with one of the 15-year-old cadets, and that a review of personal text messages indicated that he was aware of the thefts. Police Chief Charlie Beck personally arrested Cain at the 77th Street Community Police Station on June 22 for the alleged statutory rape of a minor.
Further investigation at Cain's Rancho Cucamonga home would turn up a cache of more than 100 weapons. "During the search of Cain's home, investigators discovered several restricted firearms, including assault rifles, and weapons-related contraband that were seized. Several of the weapons were determined to be illegal to possess in California," the LAPD said in a statement released today.
The LAPD presented the evidence to the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office, which then charged Cain earlier this week with ten felony weapons crimes including the illegal possession and manufacturing of assault rifles. Cain's not guilty plea came at a court appearance in Rancho Cucamonga on Friday; this was his first court appearance stemming from the cadet scandal.
According to the L.A. Times, the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office said Friday that they have not formally charged him with having unlawful sex, but are still reviewing the case against him.
Cain's bail was set at $250,000, reports ABC7. His next court appearance was set for Aug. 15.