Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Parent Takes Teacher Hostage And Barricades Himself In Riverside Elementary School, Students Evacuated

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A male parent barricaded himself inside a Riverside elementary school after taking a teacher hostage late Tuesday morning. All students have been evacuated from the school and the hostage situation remains active.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports that police first arrived at Castle View Elementary just before 11:30 a.m. The school was placed on lockdown "due to a disturbance inside of a classroom," and students were evacuated, according to a statement from Riverside Unified School District. All students had been safely evacuated to neighboring Castleview Park by 1:25 p.m., according to a second statement from the district.

Riverside Police Department spokesman Officer Ryan Railsback described the incident as a "barricaded hostage situation," according to KTLA.

“Right now it’s still an active situation, but the students are safe," Justin Grayson, spokesman for the district, told the Press-Enterprise.

Support for LAist comes from

Update [3:15 p.m.] Riverside Police held a press conference at 3 p.m. on the ongoing hostage situation. Speaking before reporters, Riverside Police Department spokesman Officer Ryan Railsback said that everyone had been evacuated from the campus except for a few staff members, the hostage, and the barricaded suspect. Railsback said that SWAT was on the scene, along with an emergency negotiations team.