Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Report on Boat Race Accident: "Aegean" Ran Aground

Photo: Aegean Marine/Facebook
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Multiple agencies are compiling reports based on their investigation of the tragic and fatal boating accident that happened in April during the Newport to Ensenada race. One report, released today by The US Sailing Independent Review, claims that the 37-foot sailboat "ran aground" on North Coronado Island, according to the Associated Press. Initially, speculation was that the vessel had collided in the middle of the night with another, much larger, ship.

However, a review of information logged by a website that tracks boats via GPS indicated that it was the rocky shores of the island that the Aegean collided with.

The first person to locate the boat's debris said it appeared the Aegean "had gone through a blender."

The bodies of three crew members, including two from Southern California, were found right away, however the Aegean's captain, Redondo Beach resident Theo Mavromatis, remained missing for several days after the crash. His body was found about a week later by fishermen in the area.

Support for LAist comes from

US Sailing is expected to release a full report at the end of July, and the U.S. Coast Guard is likely nearing completion on their own investigation.