Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Scary Serial Rapist Who Cut Off His GPS Device Is On The Loose

Today on Giving Tuesday, we need you.
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all today on Giving Tuesday. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls AND will be matched dollar-for-dollar! Let your support for reliable local reporting be amplified by this special matching opportunity. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A "violent" paroled rapist who once raped and left a woman for dead has cut off his GPS monitor and authorities no longer know where he is. Joseph Serapiglia was sentenced to 42 years in prison for attempted murder and rape in 1991. In April of 2014, he was released after serving only 23 of those years. He lived in San Fernando for eight months before cutting off his GPS monitoring device and moving to an unknown location, a release from the LAPD said. He was last seen on Friday near Sepulveda Blvd. and Roscoe Blvd. in Panorama City, CBS LA reports.

The release describes Serapiglia as "violent" and "a dangerous felon who has exhibited a violent nature and is a threat to the communities of Southern California."

Serapiglia's offenses are listed on the Megan's Law site as rape, oral copulation with a minor under the age of 14 and sexual penetration of a victim with a foreign object, KTLA reports.

An L.A. Times article from June of 1991 talks about his charges of rape and attempted murder. Serapiglia was 20 then, and had just moved from Rhode Island to move in with his father in Canoga Park. Police say Serapiglia called a 31-year-old mother of two who lived in the same apartment complex, and told her his dad had gone missing in Topanga Canyon and he needed her help finding him because he was new to the area. The woman agreed. Serapiglia drove her to a remote location at the top of the canyon, pulled his van off off the road and then beat and raped her. He then pulled her out of the van, stabbed her six times, beat her again and threw her down a 25-foot hill. Serapiglia then returned to his home and went to sleep, leaving the woman for dead.

Support for LAist comes from

The woman managed to climb back up the hillside to the road. She then found a small group of people who were hanging out at a viewing area that overlooked the Valley. Two women drove the victim to the hospital where workers called the police, who then arrested Serapiglia.

Serapiglia is described as a Hispanic male who is 5'11" and about 175 pounds. He has brown hair, brown eyes and a mustache. He also has several tattoos, including the words 'wheels,' a skull and two cars on his back and a jester face on his arm.

Anyone with information should call Detective McPartland at 951-809-1647, Officer Sanchez at 818-669-5511 or 1-877-527-3247 during non-business hours.