Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


14 People Held Hostage at Mall in Armed Robbery That Included Stabbing and Sexual Assault

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.


Authorities say that a woman is being held hostage by two armed men at the Nordstrom Rack at the Howard Hughes Center. Details are sketchy, but @LAScanner and @Venice311 have been listening to the scanner fire intently since the incident started around 11 pm. Police told NBC Los Angeles that the armed pair took the woman to the back of the store. The store closes at 10 pm.

The situation is still ongoing, but here's the insane story as it unfolded (so far) in real time over the scanner:

Support for LAist comes from

Support for LAist comes from

It looks like @LAScanner and @Venice311 are settling into a long graveyard shift, but TV news crews arrived on the scene well after midnight. In the meantime, the folks who went to see "Gangster Squad" at The Bridge are stuck in the theater for a show they didn't expect:

By Lindsay William-Ross

Still considered an active investigation, more details about last night's tense standoff at the Promenade at Howard Hughes Center have become available.

A total of 14 people had to be rescued from inside a storage room at the Nordstrom Rack where they were hiding, according to City News Service.

The situation began as an armed robbery, just after 10 p.m. Thursday, and the initial incident was reported by a spouse or boyfriend of an employee of the store, said Lt. Andy Neiman, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman, after that employee called him to tell him two men with handguns had entered the store at closing time, 10 p.m.

A man was seen running out of the store, but when he saw police, he darted back inside. Soon after, a man exiting the store with a woman also saw police, and forced the woman back into the store with him.

At 3:30 a.m. SWAT officers were able to enter the store, and freed the 14 people trapped and hiding inside.

Though all were in good condition, Neiman told KTLA that at least one of the victims had been stabbed and sustained a non-life threatening wound.

“There’s additional information that one of the victims was also sexually assaulted, and so that victim is being cared to at this time,” Neiman said.

The armed robbers were not on scene when SWAT performed the rescue.

This morning the gunman remain at large, however the white SUV believed to be their vehicle has been reportedly spotted at the intersection of Washington Boulevard and Globe Avenue in Culver City.

More Details About Bizarre Armed Robbery That Led To 14 Employees Being Held Hostage