Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Suspect Shoots LAPD Officer In Face During Overnight Standoff [UPDATED]

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

A Los Angeles policeman shot in the face during a probation search in Willowbrook was hospitalized in critical but stable condition today.

The gunman who shot him also wounded a probation officer, City News Service reports. The standoff went on for 11 hours without any communication from the suspect; Fox News reports that when the officers finally entered the home, they found the suspect dead of self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

It all started Tuesday, when the two officers were conducting a probation check at the home in the 2200 block of East 117th Street. Authorities said the LAPD gang enforcement officer and county probation officer were searching the home when they were confronted by the gunman, who fired one shot each at the officers.

That gang officer who was shot in the face was transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood. LAPD Sgt. Albert Gonzalez told CNS he was out of surgery. Family members who came to the hospital were quoted as saying they thought the officer would survive the shooting.

Support for LAist comes from

The probation officer was treated at the scene for a graze wound to the leg, Officer Christopher No told CNS.

Authorities said this did not appear to be related to the brazen attack on two officers that occurred yesterday in Los Angeles's Wilshire Station, but they were taking no chances.

"We asked all the stations to heighten their security and just be aware that this may be a pattern or there may be more than one person trying to do something. We got no indications that that's happening right now, but in an abundance of caution, we're making sure and we're doing extra security at all our stations," Cmdr. Andrew Smith, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman, told CNS before it was learned that the suspect was dead.

Neighboring homes were evacuated and a SigAlert was issued for the eastbound Glen Anderson Freeway at Wilmington Avenue.

UPDATE, JUNE 27, 8:58 A.M.: The suspect has been identified as Howard Michael Carl Partee, 33, of Willowbrook. Despite earlier reports that the man fatally shot himself, City News Service reported Wednesday night that it was not immediately clear if the man shot himself or was shot by a police officer. An autopsy has yet to be conducted.