Extra, Extra - Elvira Arellano Arrested; Jaywalking Tickets Given To Skid Row Schizophrenics
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- See the 1995 60 Minutes segment about the horrendous Red Line subway construction.
- Apparently, in democracy you cannot run against your boss' political allies without getting fired. That's what happened when city councilman Ed Reyes fired his office manager after she lost the 2005 election to Jose Huizar. She sued. She won.
- All the Wilshire Blvd. bus lane info you could want.
- The Zaca wildfire has been going for a month and now Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency.
- Studio City had a bunch of power outages today.
- Yet another near miss at LAX as two planes come within 200 feet of each other as one takes off and one lands. It is the 7th such incident this year alone.
- Immigration reform activist and illegal immigrant herself, Elvira Arellano, was arrested this afternoon outside Our Lady Queen of Angels church on L.A.'s historic Olvera Street.
- In Steve Lopez' column today, he talks up a great conversation on public policy and Los Angeles homelessness. First things first: Tell LAPD Chief Bratton that we don't need any more of his officers writing jaywalking tickets to schizophrenics in skid row.
Photo by Jimmy Prescott via Flickr