This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Chill Out
"Celebratory Splash" Photo by playonthefreeway via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- It's friggin hot and you don't have A/C - here's a few ways to keep it cool.
- Some mannequin's have nipples and that's not okay with grandmothers. A mannequin in the window at Tilly's in Huntington beach left one grandmother "outraged" by the obvious areola. Tilly's was quick to apologize and give her a 20% off-one-item coupon.
- if you got picked on in high school and want to get even at your high school reunion, you might want to follow the lead of Andrea Wachner from Palos Verdes. Wachner hired a stripper to go to her 10 year reunion in her place who explained to everyone that she suffered from amnesia, got plastic surgery and is now a stripper. All the while, Wachner is in the other room feeding her muse lines and filming classmates reactions for a documentary.
- The bank bailout was supposed to encourage banks to lend us more money, but in March, they gave out even less loans than they did in February. Turns out, some banks won't even lend to themselves to finish construction projects.
- Anyone on the 605 last night see a car going the wrong way in the carpool lane? LA Observed has direct reporting from the "without-incident" scene.
- Let's take a break from the news of the world and, just for fun, check out some funny street signs from The Infrastructurist.
- Police need your help finding who stabbed a Pasadena man last night. The unidentified man was able to stumble to a passerby and get to the hospital by paramedic, but later died from his injuries.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.