This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Hello, 1% Sales Tax Increase
- LA Metblogs reminds us thatthe sales tax will increase to 9.25% tomorrow (10.25% in some parts). So you have one more night to buy that TV, car, or whatever else it is you want, because it will be officially more expensive tomorrow.
- You could be the next drummer for Smashing Pumpkins. LA Snark has the info straight from the Pumpkins' Tweet. Start practicing!
- Facebook's CFO has left the company. Do you care? Does this signal any big moves coming in the near future?
- With thishuge computer virus supposed to hit tomorrow, take a few minutes out to update passwords today. Not like changing passwords will stop the impending doom of your PC, but it will make your accounts a little harder to hack. Consumerist offers some pretty awesome tips on how to make your passwords hard to crack but easy to remember.
- Artists looking to be a part of SGV history, now's your chance. Metro Gold Line officials want to build a bridge acknowledging the "visible gateway" to the SGV which will be over the 210 Freeway. If you can make the bridge fit their vision of giving an "iconic statement and a gateway to the San Gabriel Valley," then here's your application. Get started and collect your $20,000.
- Guys, if you think that LA is the 19th best city to live in the world, you wouldn't be alone.
- Buckle up, LA! CHP is out in full force for their safety-belt initiative to encourage people to obey the law.
- A bank robber dubbed the "Chimney Sweep Bandit" has been cleaning up (nyuk, nyuk) in O.C. He may be responsible for as many as 5 robberies.
- A car chase from Hollywood to Glendale ended with the suspect slamming into a parked car around 1:30 this morning. The car was reported stolen from Long Beach which prompted the apparently intoxicated driver to give chase.