Extra, Extra: Hello, 1% Sales Tax Increase
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- LA Metblogs reminds us that the sales tax will increase to 9.25% tomorrow (10.25% in some parts). So you have one more night to buy that TV, car, or whatever else it is you want, because it will be officially more expensive tomorrow.
- You could be the next drummer for Smashing Pumpkins. LA Snark has the info straight from the Pumpkins' Tweet. Start practicing!
- Facebook's CFO has left the company. Do you care? Does this signal any big moves coming in the near future?
- With this huge computer virus supposed to hit tomorrow, take a few minutes out to update passwords today. Not like changing passwords will stop the impending doom of your PC, but it will make your accounts a little harder to hack. Consumerist offers some pretty awesome tips on how to make your passwords hard to crack but easy to remember.
- Artists looking to be a part of SGV history, now's your chance. Metro Gold Line officials want to build a bridge acknowledging the "visible gateway" to the SGV which will be over the 210 Freeway. If you can make the bridge fit their vision of giving an "iconic statement and a gateway to the San Gabriel Valley," then here's your application. Get started and collect your $20,000.
- Guys, if you think that LA is the 19th best city to live in the world, you wouldn't be alone.
- Buckle up, LA! CHP is out in full force for their safety-belt initiative to encourage people to obey the law.
- A bank robber dubbed the "Chimney Sweep Bandit" has been cleaning up (nyuk, nyuk) in O.C. He may be responsible for as many as 5 robberies.
- A car chase from Hollywood to Glendale ended with the suspect slamming into a parked car around 1:30 this morning. The car was reported stolen from Long Beach which prompted the apparently intoxicated driver to give chase.