Extra, Extra: Kidney For Sale
LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Desperate times call for desperate measures. A San Diego man posted his kidney for sale yesterday on Craigslist for $100k. The post was removed because posts that contain “blood, bodily fluids or body parts" are banned on the site.
- Who says there's not interesting (and affordable) living spaces out there. Pasadena's Water Tower could be yours, if the price is right.
- B-List Chef's who are thirsty for attention and can whip up a Rack of Lamb with Saffron Cauliflower Puree, Romesco & Gramalata in under 30 minutes, start sharpening those knives. Your chance to compete on Season 6 of Top Chef is right around the corner. The LA casting call is scheduled for March 15th at Craft. Tell Padma, LAist sends their best.
- Muhammad Ali will receive the NAACP President's Award on Feb 12th at the Shrine Auditorium. The award highlights "his lifetime of public service and humanitarian efforts," the organization's president announced today. Previous recipients include Susan Taylor, Ella Fitzgerald, Jesse Jackson, Ryan White, Bryant Gumbel, Tavis Smiley, Condoleezza Rice, former President Bill Clinton and Venus and Serena Williams.
- Two popular LA Gay magazines will join at the end of the month. IN Los Angeles and Frontiers are set to unite on Feb. 25 as Frontiers-IN Los Angeles.
- Two men were fatally shot in the Westmont area while attending a sidewalk vigil for a gang member who was killed on Friday. Police believe this shooting was gang related.
- Looks like it's no cake walk getting back on top for Britney Spears. It's hard to keep up with it, but it seems her parents and former manager, Sam Lufti, are throwing lawsuits at each other. Are people entitled to another 15 mintues of fame???
- Surf City is banning those annoying, but cool, sign spinners and other advertising gimmicks from littering their street corners. This advertising practice was just put into effect in December to boost sales during this downturn, but because of driver distraction, they are putting an end to it.