Extra, Extra: Happy Birthday, Friend, Beer Can!
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Happy 50th Birthday to the Aluminum Beer Can. Fifty years ago today, the old Adolph Coors Co. unveilied the U.S. beer industry's first seamless, recyclable aluminum beer can.
- Usually rain gets a bad rap in these parts, but after our dry spell, locals were loving today's wet weather. Good times for photographers, puddle enthusiasts, and nose-pickers.
- Did you ever just want to just say "F-it," and straight-out P.I.M.P out your office? (Ex) Merrill Lynch CEO (who "resigned" from his position from BofA today) had that same sentiment and went on a $1.2 mil buying binge right before watching Merrill sink. This is the same guy that kicked and screamed, then retracted his request for a $10 million bonus.
- A juror in former OC Sheriff, Mike Carona's trial is regretting his decision to acquit. Dude acted against his gut and caved into pressure from other jurors who sometimes slept during deliberations. Carona is facing anywhere from probation to 10 years in prison at his April 26 sentencing.
- Jesus rocks! At least His image has been seen rocking a rock in a Redlands, CA store.
- A lot of LAist-ers are out-of-town transplants which makes getting back to the homeland for weddings, birthday's, funerals - frickin' expensive! We're in 2009, so next time a loved one passes, maybe your family will understand your request to watch the funeral online. Selfish? Maybe. Economical, yes.
- Tragedy out of Sylmar today. A 29-year-old is jailed in lieu of a $1 million bail on suspicion of killing his mother with a baseball bat. The son has a history of domestic-violence and he has stolen from neighbors to buy drugs as well.