This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: LAist Named an Official 'Blogoption' by Vanity Fair!
Photo taken near Alaska byUnhindered by Talent on Flickr
- Coming off one of LA's bloodiest weekends, gentle killer whales of the sea heard the bad news and came to the shore to bring us back to reality with an impromptu "Sea World" type show.
- In Brea, approx. $175,000 in diamonds were randomly stolen by three men who randomly smashed a parked car's windows, snatched the bag, and drove off. The diamonds' owner told officers he had the HUGE CACHE for work. Sure buddy...
- Speaking of eerily similar crimes, ANOTHER random jewlery heist went down when armed men swarmed an Irvine home where two jewlery importers were staying with friends. The men made off with $500,000 in diamonds and precious stones.
- Police are asking for YOUR help in identifying a man caught on tape withdrawing over $92,000 from the bank account of a missing 80-year-old man.
- The bloodshed continues... A Hacienda Heights man was found last night fatally shot in his home. Also, a Culver City woman was gunned down early today in the 4100 block of Jasmine Avenue. Didn't we learn anything from Rodney (pre-rehab tv) King?!?! Can we all just get along?
- Obama will be in LA on June 24th in hopes of woo-ing all of Hilary's friends with pockets big and small. Hilary has already urged her former financial backers to not be frugal when giving to Barack. Wonder if she secretly told them to write "VP?" on all the donations?
- Pink hearts, yellow moons, green clovers, and now - a magical hourglass! Yes, Lucky Charms will, for the first time in 10 years, add a new marshmallow to it's freakishly addicting cereal. Rejoice! (via Press Release)
- We're not quite as newsy as The Consumerist, and not as scurrilous as Perez Hilton, but Vanity Fair thinks we are Hip enough to be featured on their Blogopticon - where we are in the company of the elite. Thank you!
- There's one more day left on the clock for our Rilo Kiley concert tix giveaway. Head over to this part of LAist and leave us your thoughts on the best things to do in Los Feliz before or after a show at the Greek Theatre.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.