Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Two Remaining Orange County Jail Fugitives Caught In San Francisco [Updated]

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


The two remaining inmates who escaped from a Santa Ana jail last week were captured in San Francisco early on Saturday, police said.NBC L.A. reports that Hossein Nayeri, 37, of Newport Beach, and Jonathan Tieu, 20, of Fountain Valley were taken into custody by the San Francisco Police Department Saturday morning. ABC-7 reports police apprehended the fugitives near Golden Gate Park in the heart of Haight Ashbury, shortly before 9 a.m.

"I can say that the entire state can breathe a sigh of relief," said Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens in a press conference held at noon.

Hutchens said that that the capture was the result of a coincidence. Around 8:50 Saturday morning, San Francisco police officers were handling an unrelated medical emergency near Haight and Stanyan Streets, in one of the most historic (and touristy) areas of San Francisco. Hutchens explained how a "citizen approached the officers and pointed out a white van parked in the parking lot of the Whole Foods located on Stanyan."

Officers approached the van and saw Nayeri flee on foot. They chased him down and took him into custody. More officers returned to the van, where they found Tieu hiding inside. SFPD confirmed that the van is the same the three fugitives stole last week. Supposedly the three men have been driving and living out of the van for the past week.

Hutchens also said that several rounds of .380 caliber ammunition were found in the van, though there was no weapon recovered.

Both suspects will be taken to the S.F. County Jail, where Orange County investigators will conduct interviews, and coordinate the two fugitives' transportation back to O.C.

Investigators turned their attention to the Bay Area this week, believing the inmates were possibly headed there or Fresno. According to ABC, the men may have been drawn to San Jose because of its large Vietnamese population (Tieu is reportedly a member of a Vietnamese gang). The Orange County Sheriff's department also said that Nayeri might have family or an associate in Fresno.

Sponsored message

The manager of the Alameda Motel in San Jose said he believed all three of the fugitives stayed at his motel on Tuesday and Wednesday, and left Thursday morning.

On Friday, one of the fugitives, Bac Duong, was arrested in Santa Ana after walking up to a random civilian and telling her he wanted to turn himself in. According to the L.A. Times, Duong had gone north with the other two men, but managed to return to Santa Ana on his own.

Police also arrested 44-year-old Nooshafarian Ravaghi, an ESL teacher who worked in the jail. Ravaghi is suspected of being an accessory in the jailbreak.

The three had been on the run since breaking out of the Orange County Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana last Friday, which investigators say was accomplished using an elaborate plan involving sawing through steel, and escaping through a plumbing tunnel before rappelling down the side of the jail from the roof.

You had a good run, guys.

Updated, 3:43 p.m.: Police initially said the citizen who tipped them off to the van in the Whole Foods was a woman, but later confirmed that it was a man.

The manager of the Alameda Motel in San Jose also spoke to the Times about the fugitives' stay at the hotel earlier this week. They prepaid $200 in cash for two nights for a smoking room with one twin bed and one full-size bed. The manager, who did not wish to be identified, said he saw one of the men, Bac Duong, washing their getaway van in the motel parking lot over the course of their stay. He told him to stop, and he complied. He also said the three were quiet and well-behaved.

Sponsored message

"I just can't believe it," the manager told the Times. "There are crazy things going on in life. But these guys were quiet, nice and no drama."

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today