This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Noonish Newsish and it's already Wednesday
- The heatwave that has graciously broken could have lead to25 deaths here
- Republican congressman Paul Gilmour of Ohio found dead in his apartment in DC
- Shaq is filing for divorce from his wife of five years. Together the couple had four children: Shareef, 7, Amirah, 5, Shaqir, 4, and Me'Arah, 1
- 400 court interpreters are on strike from San Luis to Santa Barbara to LA counties, any chance they're all just standing outside of the courthouses flipping the bird?
- Speaking of stinky fingers, the LA Times today has an
ad story about how the LA Times will run a scratch and sniff ad. Correctly, the headline begins with "Marketing ploy..."
- George Bush admits that he cries, "I do tears." All the way to the bank.
- Anna Nicole's baby daddy Larry Birkhead hits the I'm Not Gay media tour
- Matt Drudge booted off the air, Bill Cunningham "voice of the common man" in
- Wait... The Pig closed? Noooooo
- Dorm fight between two teenage girls at the University of Arizona leads to one dead
photo by Jordon via flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.