New Mass Vaccination Site At Cal State LA Opens Today
Demand for vaccines in Los Angeles is much greater than the supply, but help is on the way with a new vaccine site opening at Cal State L.A. today.
The Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, the National Guard, the Department of Defense, and FEMA are working together on the large vaccination site, which is part of the federal effort to put up 100 vaccine sites in 100 days. The organizers aim to give 6,000 shots a day. These shots will be in addition to the vaccine allotments the state gets each week.
“Having this here for the community is really going to be a gamechanger,” Cal State L.A. executive vice president José A Gómez said.
Communities like Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles are among those hit hardest by COVID-19 in LA County.
Dave Stone with Cal OES Fire & Rescue said they also chose Cal State L.A. because of all the different ways you can get there.
If you have access to a car, you can drive through for your shot. But if driving isn’t an option, there’s public transit.
“Cal State Los Angeles is a transportation hub,” Stone explained. “It's got a train station here, it has a bus terminal, and it has a MetroLink that comes into this location.”
After things are up and running on the Cal State L.A. campus, the plan is to send mobile teams into the community, to bring shots to eligible individuals at community centers and schools.
With additional reporting by Jackie Fortiér.
READ OUR ONGOING COVERAGE OF THE COVID-19 VACCINES IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA:
- CA Partners With FEMA To Open New Vaccination Site At Cal State LA
- City Vaccination Sites Are Out Of Doses; MIS-C Cases In Children Increase
- LA’s First School-Based Vaccination Site Will Open This Week
- LA City Coronavirus Vaccination Sites Will Temporarily Prioritize Second Doses
- More LA Essential Workers Could Soon Be Eligible For COVID-19 Vaccine, Health Officials Say
- California To Open Up Vaccinations To Ages 16-64 With Certain Diseases And Disabilities
- What To Do If An LA County Vaccination Site Turns You Away On The Day Of Your Second Dose
- Answers To Your COVID-19 Vaccine Questions -- Safety, Eligibility, Access, And Much More
- How To Get The Second Dose Of Vaccine -- And Everything You Need To Know About It