Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Match.com Rape Suspect Enters Plea in Court

match.com.jpg
The match.com homepage as it looks today.
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Alan Paul Wurtzel, the legal inspiration for Match.com's stricter background checks, pleaded no contest to charges that he raped a woman he met through the dating site in court today, according to KTLA.

Wurtzel, 67, is accused of sexually assaulting TV executive Carole Markin on their second date, after meeting through Match.com.

He is scheduled to be sentenced September 19. He could face one year in jail, five years of probation and he must register as a sex offender.

After the alleged assault, Markin said she went online to discover that Wurtzel had been convicted of sexual battery six times. She went public with her story and sued the dating site in April.

Support for LAist comes from

Match.com responded to the suit by saying that said the company would begin cross-referencing its members against the National Sex Offender Registry and that the process could take months to fully implement.