Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Marine Shot and Killed by OC Deputy May Have Been Taking Daughters for 'Prayer Walk'

Photo by carl & tracy gossett via Flickr
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Police are no closer to understanding why an on-duty sheriff shot and killed a Marine from Camp Pendleton in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The bizarre and tragic story goes like this, according to the L.A. Times: 31-year-old Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was driving in his SUV with his two daughters, age 9 and 14, at about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday. Inexplicably, he crashed his car through the gates of San Clemente High School.

But being at San Clemente High School wasn't unusual for them -- Loggins often took his daughters there for early morning "prayer walks" around the track.

A deputy -- whose name hasn't been released -- was sitting nearby in a patrol car doing paperwork. He pulled up behind the SUV after the crash, and as he did so Loggins got out and headed to the track. The deputy asked Loggins to stop and Loggins ignored him, and that's where it gets strange. The Times reports:

Support for LAist comes from
When Loggins turned and headed back to the Yukon, the deputy suddenly felt threatened and opened fire, [sheriff's spokesman Jim] Amormino said. Amormino said he did not know why the deputy felt threatened, or how many shots were fired, or whether Loggins was armed. Marine sources said Loggins was not in possession of a weapon.

Loggins' daughters were in the car when he was shot. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.

Loggins was described by his fellow Marines as deeply religious and very respectful. In response to the shooting, Loggins' supervisor, Major Christopher Cox, told the Times, "I've got some Marines that are very upset."