Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Man Shot By Police In Bustling Section Of Echo Park

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Police shot a man in Echo Park early Sunday morning after he pulled out a gun on a busy strip of Sunset Boulevard.

KTLA reports that around 1 a.m., LAPD officers were patrolling around Sunset and Sutherland Street when they saw a fight in action near the Short Stop bar.

Lt. Chris Ramirez said that when officers approached the group, a Latino male pulled out a handgun, prompting a police officer to fire his own gun at the suspect. Then, the man fled west on foot, and a second police shooting occurred in front of the United Oil gas station at Sunset and Portia, across the street from Little Joy.

City News Service writes that police fired "several" shots at the man, who was wounded by the gunshots and taken to a hospital for surgery.

The incident forced the closure of a busy section of Sunset Boulevard. According to Eastsider, many people who had been inside one of the several bars in the area came out to find they couldn't access their cars, which were behind the police lines.

As of 9:00 am this morning, Sunset was still closed between Echo Park Avenue and Quintero Street as the investigation continues, according to the LAPD's Twitter. Police also said a gun was recovered from the scene.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today