Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

LA City Council Moves Forward With Mayor's Coronavirus Budget Cuts

5e8d08b4f4671c00088b2d6e-eight.jpg
City Hall from Grand Park on Tuesday March 24. (Chava Sanchez/ LAist)
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.

The city of Los Angeles moved forward today with Mayor Garcetti’s belt-tightening budget, which shaves $230 million off city spending -- including partial furloughs for civilian workers and cuts to most departments.

More cuts are likely on the way, as the city’s tax revenue has been decimated by the coronavirus crisis. But the city council said it will allow Garcetti's budget to take effect when the new fiscal year starts July 1, with plans to revisit spending as the revenue picture continues to change.

Budget and Finance chairman Paul Krekorian said his committee will consider amendments to the budget next month and continue updating the plan as the year unfolds.

The mayor’s budget has disappointed activists who flooded public comment phone lines on Wednesday, asking why the council was maintaining larger paychecks for police instead of preserving social services. The city negotiated more overtime and pay increases with unions last year.

Support for LAist comes from

READ MORE ABOUT THE WEDNESDAY DEBATE: